Our transport system is a mess.
Roads don’t relieve congestion, they create it. But state government after state government keep building roads. They keep putting the road lobby and private interests before smart transport solutions.
This is why we need to build enough momentum to stop ANY mega toll road project that they put on the table.
In early February, 100 community members gathered to #GetOnBoard the new Community Powered Transport Plan. There were people from Altona to Mordialloc, Bullen and in between. There were people who usually voted Labor, Liberal, Green or for Minor Parties. But we want to set our differences aside to get the job done.
We’ve experienced decades of institutional failure. We’ve got amazing academics and urban planners with bright ideas. The community is hungry for better public transport to reduce congestion on our roads. Successive governments have failed to put in place the smart transport policies to cope with a growing Melbourne.
We reckon this gets the ball rolling:
- A better train network by building Melbourne Metro 2, a proposed train line that will take thousands off the roads.
- Getting freight off our residential streets to protect the vulnerable in our communities
- Healthier communities with more bikes, walking and green space.
- Better bus, tram and light rail networks to connect public transport system, so that people in the suburbs can get to where they need to go.
- And all these projects Made in Victoria powered by local jobs
This is a plan built by people and for people. It’s a living document, because its about people discussing the solutions that will work for them and their communities.
In 2018 we’re starting an unprecedented, people powered community consultation process - #GetOnBoard now!